Best Wedge Pillow Reviews
Wedge pillows are an efficient and easy remedy for acid reflux or GERD. So if you are suffering from this condition, wedge pillows are worth investing for. Although there are several treatments that can relieve this condition, wedge pillows are among these. Wedge pillow works by slightly raising the head, thereby allowing gravity to prevent the acid from refluxing into the esophagus.
This pillow is most suitable for side and back sleepers. This elevates the head and neck in an angle between 30 and 45 degrees. This pillow can last for a few years, and this is proven to be an effective solution for GERD.
As a matter of fact, experts from Mayo Clinic recommended placing the pillow from the waist up if it’s not possible for you to elevate your bed. This remedy cannot be found in medical websites 15 years ago. Nowadays, several customers want to experience the plush and comfort that this pillow can provide. This is certainly far better than a foam block.
This is also a good option if you’re looking for a pillow that can support your torso (20 to 40 inches long). Choose a length that is compatible with your height and torso length.
Wedge pillows are also perfect for pregnant and nursing mothers. This can certainly alleviate lower back pressure by supporting your baby bump and keep baby in place when breastfeeding.
InteVision Foam Wedge Bed Pillow
This is a solid foam pillow that is composed of 1-inch memory foam on the top layer. This foam provides a cushion on top and a firm support at the bottom. This way, you won’t feel as if you’re sleeping on a big block. The pillow is specially created to prevent acid reflux and snoring and to support pregnant women.
It is wrapped with a simple cover that is machine washable. A 400-thread count Egyptian cotton cover can also fit with this pillow. The memory foam layer features air channels that can keep you cool throughout the night.
This pillow has a gentle slope design with a 72-degree inclination. The angle of this pillow is not as extreme as that of ortho pillow. It is well compressed and it takes a day to expand to its maximum size. This is best for side sleepers, although this is a bit firm.
- Has an angle of 27º
- Has a dimension of 25”x24”x12”
- Is made up of 1-inch memory foam
- Has a removable/washable cover
- Since the angle is not that wide, this pillow is a great choice for those who want to lie down on a soft and plush pillow. It is a bit thick and big enough, making sleepers comfortable.This is not as costly as an ortho pillow. So, if you need a pillow for medical recovery, this is the right one for you. It is well constructed and can be rolled up for easy storage.
- The cover is so thin that it can’t properly hold your head during the night.It will take you some time to adjust to the pillow and get comfortable with it. Stomach sleepers won’t enjoy this pillow since it’s too firm. Its size is even too small for a single bed; therefore, it’s not good for dressing into the sheet since it can form gaps.
InteVision Ortho Bed Pillow
This pillow has the same design as the simple foam wedge, but this is a firm foam block topped with 1-inch memory foam for extra comfort. It has less inclination with a flat top so that you can place your pillow over it to achieve your desired comfort.
It is also shaped to prevent your head from slipping down while you’re asleep. It is wrapped with a removable and washable cover. You can as well opt for a 400-thread count Egyptian cotton cover. Its width is enough for you to place both feet up or to comfortably rest your head upon.
The foam thickness is enough to make the pillow supportive. It is not also costly, despite the fact that it has orthopedic benefits.
- Has a dimension of 21”x24”x8”
- Has an angle of 45º
- Has a flat top for your head or feet
- Has a removable/washable cover
- This pillow is definitely firmer than the simple wedge pillow, and it becomes firmer if you don’t have any support on your feet. This may not be suitable for stomach sleepers and unusual for side sleepers.This is intentionally created to support the feet and for those who prefer to sleep in an upright position. This gives you the softness of a regular pillow. Since this is designed for the feet, this is wide enough to support your thighs and feet.
The only drawback is that it is short. Since it has a thin layer, it does not also emit unpleasant gases, which is a common issue of memory foam products.
- Just like the foam wedge, it will take a few hours for this pillow to expand to its maximum size.The pillow is not that long, so if you are using it as a feet support instead of using it as a GERD remedy, then there’s a tendency that your feet will be positioned off the edge, especially if your height is above 5’7”. There’s no available long version of this pillow. Moreover, its angle is a bit steep; thus, when you lean against it, it will lead you to a sitting up position.
Drive Medical Folding Bed Wedge
This is a convertible wedge pillow that offers a combination of the simple slope and ortho design. It is a great choice if you want to raise the upper part of your body and support your head. It can be folded into a block shape for convenient storage. It has three available sizes, that is, 7, 10, and 12 inches. The various sizes allow you to choose your most comfortable height. Smaller sizes are best for travelers.
This is a small wedge pillow that has a wide surface to sleep on. It is designed to relieve the symptoms of GERD and provides a firm support. The pillow is made up of foam, but not the memory foam that the Intevision offers.
It is wrapped with a cloth cover that is removable; however, the case is not. The texture of the cover is a bit rough, so it is best to place something smooth over it or dress it into the sheets.
- Has a slope of 30/45º
- Offers various configurations
- Has 3 different sizes available
- Has a removable/washable cover
- Has a dimension of 23”x23”x12”
- If you are not sure which among the several options of pillows you will choose, then consider this. It has the benefits of both simple and ortho wedge pillows. The price is almost the same as other wedge pillows. Since it does not contain memory foam, this pillow has minimal heat retention.This pillow is also designed for tall users. It is medical grade and more durable than the Intevision versions. It can be used in three positions and is foldable for easy storage.
- Some find this too firm since it does not have memory foam on it. Some claimed that they felt like lying on the carpet when using this pillow. A lot of people are not comfortable of its firmness.Because of the pillow’s smoothness, you will likely to slip down when you lie on it. It is also a bit heavy, thus making it difficult for you to move. It is narrow as well; thus, it will make your head easily slide down.
Boppy Pregnancy Wedge Petite
This pillow is known as mom’s best friend. If you’re an expectant mother, this reduces the stretch on your skin and relieves stress on your back. This certainly keeps pregnant women comfortable.
The wedge contour slides under your belly, thereby providing exceptional support.
It relieves pressure points between your legs and supports your lower back when you’re in a sitting position.
It is very flexible. It is wrapped with a slipcover that is removable and washable. It can also be conveniently carried when you’re traveling.
It is foamy and firm, thus reducing pressure points. It is firmer than memory foam, but it is still supportive even if it is made up if polyurethane.
This is also suitable for infants as it relieves acid reflux symptoms.
- Has a dimension of 15”x12”x4”
- Is made up of solid foam
- Has a removable/washable cover
- Since this does not contain memory foam, its heat retention level is low. It is best for those women who are in the later stage of pregnancy as the ligaments during this stage are most stressed. Pregnant women don’t take up the space of a full-sized pillow.The size is conducive for traveling and is flexible enough since you can still use this after your pregnancy to support your back. The washable cover is a plus. Moreover, this pillow is manufactured by a company that has a good reputation when it comes to baby products.
- Several customers noticed off-gassing. This product has also an issue with the materials used in this product; the materials used may cause pregnancy problems. It’s too firm for some and is quite small for larger or taller mothers.It easily flattens especially if the user has more than average weight. When it flattens, it becomes less supportive. Thus, this pillow is not suitable for heavy or large individuals.
The cover has a rough texture, so it is best to dress it into the sheet or crib cover. The most significant complaint about this is its small size. Indeed, it is really small and its size is comparable to that of a travel pillow. Although it is small, the price is still the same as that of regular pillows.
Brentwood Home Zuma Therapeutic Foam Bed Wedge
This has the same design with the Intevision wedge pillow. However, this has three different height options that you can choose from, depending upon your desired comfort. It is wrapped with a soft knitted cover that is removable and washable. It is firm and is designed to support the legs and feet.
It is made up of a viscoelastic foam that has the same softness of memory foam. The foam is certified by the CertiPUR. This means that this does not contain harmful chemicals that may cause off-gassing. There’s no need for you to air it out before using it.
It can maintain its shape and is perfect if you’re sleeping upright or if you’re reading in bed. The wedge is wide, thus making sleepers comfortable. It has also another model that has a gel-infused memory foam layer, which is softer.
- Is manufactured in the USA
- Coated with latex
- Available in various height options: 7, 10, and 12 inches
- Is certified by the CertiPUR
- Has a dimension of 24”x24”x10”
- Has a slope of 30º
- The most significant advantage of this pillow is its minimal off-gassing. It does not emit any undesirable odor. It also provides great support when you’re sitting in bed, and it has average firmness, thus preventing you to sink into it.The angle is enough to provide you comfort and prevent pressure buildup on your hips. It is suitable for those who are suffering from GERD.
It is wrapped with removable and hypoallergenic cover. Its softness is enough that a pillowcase is not required anymore.
- Depending on your chosen version, the cover is made up of latex, which can be an issue for those who have allergies.The foam is covered, so it won’t be easily cleaned. It takes some time for the pillow to expand to its maximum size since it is well compressed for easy transport.
For those who have chosen the viscoelastic foam model, they may find it less supportive.
Stomach sleepers won’t enjoy this pillow, and shoulder sleepers will also be uncomfortable with this since it does not adjust to the neck’s contour.
You can’t purchase pillowcases for it. This means that you will either compromise or choose another model’s case or customize one for it.
The best wedge pillow for you is dependent upon your specific needs. For instance, Drive Medical, which is a big pillow, is not suitable for pregnant women, but Boppy is.
The most flexible is the Drive Medical when it comes to shape, while the Brentwood Home is the most customizable though you can’t purchase new pillowcases for it.
We consider the Brentwood as the best wedge pillow since they offer size options that can meet your needs and the inclusion of memory foam or gel is also a plus. It is the only one that is certified by the CertiPur, so it is safe for your health and the environment.